You want to sell your Baltimore house, and you want to get top dollar.
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in Baltimore“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking for top dollar in the market:
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get full retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below, or simply don’t have the time or money to do the things below, you can still sell your Baltimore house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that’ll save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Even vacant houses get dusty and dirty. A clean house will impress buyers and really help them feel comfortable in your space. If you’re not a total clean freak, hire someone who is to help you out until you sell.
2) Cultivate a cohesive, neutral style. You don’t have to paint everything off-white. In fact, some subtle colors can really help change the perception of spaces – for example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen, while a deep dark blue or green will help a bright bedroom to feel like a calm place to sleep (but be careful, dark colors will also make rooms feel small).
Spend the money to get high-quality paint and professional help. Subconsciously people will pay more money for a property with just the right colors and very neat lines – it makes the home feel better built, even though it’s just paint. Don’t neglect the exterior of your home either!
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. It might feel like a waste of money to spend an extra couple hundred bucks on a dishwasher that someone else might just pull out and replace again. But really, quite a few buyers will get a home inspection and use the opportunity to negotiate with you. As the seller, you’ll often end up paying more if you try to hide neglected maintenance from the purchaser – and of course you don’t want to be guilty of fraud.
Make sure you stay in compliance with all the laws.
It’s often a good use of money to hire a home inspector to come through before you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a smaller rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an independent report on the condition of the house – it makes them feel very comfortable with the purchase.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
Paint is about the only safe investment – it’s easy to overspend on almost everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by unscrupulous contractors. It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money.
5) Get expert opinions. You should definitely find at least a few decent real estate brokers who will help you price your property, but be honest with them. If you’re going to market the property on your own, don’t make enemies by lying about your intentions. Great brokers are rare, but they make more money for their clients than they earn.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Again, great brokers earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising expenses across many clients. It’s pretty expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you’re ahead of the pack.
If you’re not, spend the time listening to what the best brokers do to sell houses in Baltimore to educate yourself on the options.
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Baltimore area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with extras.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself? But Still Want To Sell Your Baltimore MD House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale, not everyone can do the things or wants to do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer.
Doing the repairs, cleaning the property, upgrading the property, and marketing the property all take money and can lots of time.
If you have the funds to do these things AND you can wait the 3-9 months it takes to sell houses in this market then you’ll be better off financially.
If you don’t have the funds to do these things and can’t wait months to sell your house then you may be a perfect fit for our local Baltimore house buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house over here on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, make you a fair all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you.
Then we can close FAST (often times within 7 days) if you need us to.
Take a look at what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense, and hassle involved with doing it on your own.
So if you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in Baltimore” you have 2 solid options.
- Fix the property up with the steps above to sell it at top dollar
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, money, and gets the house off of your hands.
If you need to sell a property near Baltimore, we can help you.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.